usa-reise.de Forum

Autor Thema: English Thread  (Gelesen 21632 mal)

ratlady

• Gold Member
Re: English Thread
« Antwort #240 am: 09.10.2007, 01:10 Uhr »
First, when those lessons started, they were talking about letting me take spanish lessons, which wouldn´t have been too bad either, but unfortunately, the seem to have forgotten about that completely...

well, maybe it's time to remind them...  :wink:

Zitat
The problem is, if she would only talk about the pictures, like you described, I would be perfectly ok with it! But she also keeps on saying stuff like "Ich weiß nicht, ob Du weißt, was das heißt", even if the word is as easy as "Christmas" or "Age XXX". Also, when she shows an e-Mail (jokes or something), she says: "Ich weiß nicht, ob Du so gut Englisch lesen kannst". But she knows that I read a lot of english books, she even  borrowed some from me already! That really annoys me a bit. Maybe you are right and I´m getting it completely wrong, but sometimes I feel like a complete idiot because of that!

OK, that's different, then... but convinces me even more that the problem lies with her, not you. I take it you already told her that, yes, you do know English "that well"... hm.

Did she learn German as a "foreign language" or did she grow up bilingual?

Maybe the next time, you could just "answer" her in English: "Thanks, I really appreciate - but, in fact, I do know what that means... [and if you really want to do me a favor, please help me improve my English instead of just translating everything into German for me... that just makes me feel like an idiot]"...  :zuck:

SanFrancisco

• Gold Member
Re: English Thread
« Antwort #241 am: 16.10.2007, 18:21 Uhr »
@dschlei: I will certainly do that when I write to her the next time! I´d like to know what she really thinks about my English...

@ratlady: Yeah, I should remind them once more... But I don´t think that this will be of any use...

She did learn German as a foreign language - she came to Germany 10 years ago. She comes from a small town in Kentucky (around 300 people are living there), and she came here because of her "Now-husband". He was there for a Highschool-Exchange - Programme. They were both very young (18), and saw now other possibility for their relationship then her coming here with him.

I think I will try what you suggested - maybe this will finally work!

Thanks a lot for your help!
Lg,
Yvonne

1998 - Florida (2 weeks)
1999 - 2001 - Spanien / Mallorca
2002 - Southwest (4,5 weeks)
2003 - San Francisco (2 weeks)
2004 - London
2007 - 2008 - Griechenland
2011 - New York City (9 days)