usa-reise.de Forum

Autor Thema: English Thread  (Gelesen 23627 mal)

ratlady

• Gold Member
Re: English Thread
« Antwort #105 am: 12.02.2006, 00:21 Uhr »
Whew! Not everywhere in Alabama, though...  :mrgreen:  I guess you could count that under "northern blessings"... :wink:

Had a nice and sunny day today after rain petered out in the early morning hours; little windy for the first half of the day (gusts in excess of 40mph according to the weather channel) and therefore "feeling" a little chilly but otherwise nothing to complain about  :D  (Even though that would be a completely different story if I had to work thru this...  :wink: )

And, apparently I was wrong with my earlier post - it's actually tonight that a freeze warning will be in effect. One of the guys at work made a remark about that: "Well, a lot of people once again will realize they don't have enough anti-freeze in their cars..."  8)

(which reminds me, better run to get today's mail out of the mailbox before I'll freeze to death out there...  :lol: )

americanhero

• Gast
« Antwort #106 am: 12.02.2006, 00:34 Uhr »
Hi,

Snow in Alabama?? That´s really hard. :shock:
I had also a nice and sunny day here in Kiel. Despite the fact it was a little bit chilly outside. But it was the first sunny day this week. I hope, Spring will come soon, I´m fed up with that f... winter weather. Freezing my a... to death the whole time. Brrh!!

The next three days I can spend at home. After a hard 13 days working turn I´m relieved to relax for a while and I´m sure, I´m able to write now and then something into this thread.

Greetz from Kiel

Yvonne

Crimson Tide

• Diamond Member
« Antwort #107 am: 12.02.2006, 00:43 Uhr »
Zitat von: americanhero
Hi,

The next three days I can spend at home. After a hard 13 days working turn I´m relieved to relax for a while

Greetz from Kiel

Yvonne

Only three free days after 13 working days.... :? That's pretty hard!
So I wish you very nice weather for your free days!    

L.G. Monika

americanhero

• Gast
« Antwort #108 am: 12.02.2006, 01:03 Uhr »
Zitat von: Crimson Tide
[Only three free days after 13 working days.... :? That's pretty hard!
So I wish you very nice weather for your free days!    

@CrimsonTide

that´s okay, sometimes I´m working some extra shifts and at least I will get some money for it.  :lol: While we`re having a shortage in nurses due to illness or vacation, I´m working theses extra days. But one thing I can say at the moment: I´m really exhausted and will need the time off.
And I will sleep very long tomorrow. :lol:  :schlafend:

Greetz,

Yvonne

ratlady

• Gold Member
« Antwort #109 am: 18.02.2006, 05:02 Uhr »
Well, it's almost the weekend again, and while I'm still contemplating whether or not to go to work tomorrow, may just as well take the time for another "push up"...  :lol:  :wink:

Don't have much to "tell" at this point (other than that the outside daytime temperature went from 2 to 20 degrees Celsius in just 2 days  8)  ) but just heard something in the news here that I found quite "interesting"... unfortunately, don't have a German text for it, so I figured what the heck, may as well post it as a "refreshment" of the English-Thread...  :wink:

Ever had problems with lost luggage at the airport? Not that it helps you now, but you're certainly not alone:

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/story?id=1632907&page=1

Incidentally, I was never really fond of neither U.S. Airways or Delta...  :lol: (although the only one that ever actually "lost" my luggage was British Airways - which is still one of my preferred...  :oops: )

And, imagine that poor guy...

Zitat
When Scott Phillips flew to his wedding and honeymoon last December, his bag failed to arrive with him.

For the ceremony in the Turks and Caicos Islands, the Milwaukee resident wore his winter clothes in the beautiful 80-degree weather. Fortunately, his luggage arrived the next day. Phillips said he was just glad it was his luggage and not his fiancée's that went missing.

Although of course it may have provided some "cover up" for any non-heat-related sweating... but How Could You Stand That...??  :shock:  Probably made a bee line for the indoors A/C first chance he got...

Crimson Tide

• Diamond Member
« Antwort #110 am: 19.02.2006, 00:31 Uhr »
Oh, that's incredible, the poor Scott Phillips!  :cry:
When I think about the fact that the wedding should be one of the most wonderful (and perfect) days in your live!

*Touching wood*....I'm very lucky that I always got my luggage....so far...

And, talking about the weather!  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Last Thursday we had 25°C, and today we had just 4°c!
What a nasty day it was! I just had to buy some milk in the morning, and on my way back to my car it rained cats and dogs, and the first time I enjoyed the seat heating in my car, otherwise I would have frozen to death or were drowned, or both,  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
...it was typical "Bremer Schmuddelwetter"!

L.G. Monika

ratlady

• Gold Member
« Antwort #111 am: 19.02.2006, 01:56 Uhr »
Well, at least nobody could blame "Scotty" for "sweating the small stuff"...  :lol: (sorry...  :wink: )

I guess you can consider yourself real lucky given the chances of about 1:100 (even though that was only the "worst" airline) of ending up without your bags... I wonder if from now on I should be kind of "planning" on that, i.e. have some kind of "emergency plan/kit" ready just in case...  :?

And, talking about the weather!  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Last Thursday we had 25°C, and today we had just 4°c!
What a nasty day it was! I just had to buy some milk in the morning, and on my way back to my car it rained cats and dogs, and the first time I enjoyed the seat heating in my car, otherwise I would have frozen to death or were drowned, or both,  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
...it was typical "Bremer Schmuddelwetter"!

"That weather" really IS a "classic", isn't it?  :lol:

Similar here, although it didn't rain too hard and didn't get quite that cold either... currently "still" 9°C. Well, but quite honestly, at least the rain was quite welcome for me - provided a good "excuse" not to go to work today...  :lol: (my current job is highly weather-dependent, and while a little drizzle is only inconvenient for myself, anything more than that and I do indeed have to "pack up"...)

Well, supposedly it's going to warm up again on Monday, with a pretty good outlook for the week... :D

Crimson Tide

• Diamond Member
« Antwort #112 am: 19.02.2006, 03:21 Uhr »
Hi, Ratlady!
See the weather advisory for tonight.

Winter Weather Advisory from the National Weather Service:  

/O.EXB.KBMX.WW.Y.0002.060218T2128Z-060219T0600Z/ PICKENS-TUSCALOOSA-JEFFERSON-SHELBY-TALLADEGA-CLAY-RANDOLPH-BIBB- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CARROLLTON...TUSCALOOSA...BIRMINGHAM... HOOVER...COLUMBIANA...PELHAM...ALABASTER...TALLADEGA... SYLACAUGA...ASHLAND...ROANOKE...CENTREVILLE 328 PM CST SAT FEB 18 2006
...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT CST TONIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BIRMINGHAM HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT CST TONIGHT.

TEMPERATURES WERE IN THE 30S ACROSS THE ADVISORY AREA...AND COLD AIR WILL CONTINUE TO FUNNEL SOUTHWARD OVERNIGHT IN A BRISK NORTHERLY FLOW. TEMPERATURES WILL LIKELY FALL TO FREEZING AS FAR SOUTH AS AN ALICEVILLE...TO PELHAM...TO WINTERSBORO...TO WEDOWEE LINE BY MIDNIGHT. ANY PRECIPITATION THAT FALLS INTO THIS AIR MASS WILL FREEZE ON ELEVATED SURFACES SUCH AS TREES...POWER LINES...AND BRIDGES. ICE ACCUMULATIONS WILL NOT BE ENOUGH TO RESULT IN DOWNED POWER LINES OR TREES.

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

That is so exciting for North- Alabama,  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:, and soooo normal for the North of the USA! They would laugh about that advisory!

And about the topic luggage---I always take some clothes, underwear and a toothbrush into my hand luggage, especially when I have to fly via Paris  :twisted: , because 80% of the German who have to fly via Paris, get their luggage two or three days later!
I don't know if that is a mistake from Delta, Air France or the chaotical Airport in Paris :?:  :?:  :?:

L.G. Monika

ratlady

• Gold Member
« Antwort #113 am: 19.02.2006, 04:27 Uhr »
:lol:

Here's our "Advisory"...

ALZ051>064-FLZ001>006-MSZ067-075-076-078-079-190400-
BALDWIN COASTAL-BALDWIN INLAND-BUTLER-CHOCTAW-CLARKE-CONECUH-
COVINGTON-CRENSHAW-ESCAMBIA-ESCAMBIA COASTAL-ESCAMBIA INLAND-GEORGE-
GREENE-MOBILE COASTAL-MOBILE INLAND-MONROE-OKALOOSA COASTAL-
OKALOOSA INLAND-PERRY-SANTA ROSA COASTAL-SANTA ROSA INLAND-STONE-
WASHINGTON-WAYNE-WILCOX-
745 PM CST SAT FEB 18 2006

.NOW...
COLD AND DAMP CONDITIONS WILL CONTINUE THROUGH MIDNIGHT.
TEMPERATURES WILL SLOWLY FALL INTO THE MIDDLE 30S FOR MOST INLAND
COUNTIES BY MIDNIGHT...WITH UPPER 30S TO LOWER 40S EXPECTED BY
MIDNIGHT ALONG THE GULF COAST.  OCCASIONAL PERIODS OF LIGHT RAIN AND
DRIZZLE CAN BE EXPECTED TO CONTINUE...WITH NORTH WINDS AROUND 15 MPH
MAKING FOR WIND CHILLS IN THE UPPER 20S TO LOWER 30S AT TIMES.
RAINFALL AMOUNTS WILL BE GENERALLY LESS THAN ONE TENTH OF AN INCH
THROUGH MIDNIGHT.

So, nothing exciting at all down here, we'll stay well above freezing even though windchill might get it down close but so what... same ol', same ol'...  8)  

By the way, so far I've always been able to avoid travelling via Paris - pure "prejudice", even before I'd ever heard of all the "warning" about how "awful" it were... I've always hated French in school (actually took up and kept Latin in order to be able to give up French) and later had some of my friends at university "talk me into" spending a weekend getaway in Paris... which was OK, but I really don't have too many ambitions whatsoever to go back into any French-speaking environment if I can help it - including an airplane or airport... :engel2:

Crimson Tide

• Diamond Member
« Antwort #114 am: 19.02.2006, 19:50 Uhr »
Zitat von: ratlady
:lol:

By the way, so far I've always been able to avoid travelling via Paris - pure "prejudice", even before I'd ever heard of all the "warning" about how "awful" it were... I've always hated French in school (actually took up and kept Latin in order to be able to give up French) and later had some of my friends at university "talk me into" spending a weekend getaway in Paris... which was OK, but I really don't have too many ambitions whatsoever to go back into any French-speaking environment if I can help it - including an airplane or airport... :engel2:

Ha,ha,
I know exactly how you feel, but I kept Latin and cancelled English!  :lol:

I had just twoo years French as a volunteer class , and I forgot most of that language! :lol:
But we,(my family) have been part of the 20% lucky people, whose luggage arrived punctually in Bremen,in December, after having flown via Paris, so we had, for example, a very interesting experience with a French stewardess in our plane who tried to speak English!  :cry:  :oops:
At first I could hear her French, then, a few minutes later, it sounded strange, and suddenly I noticed that it must have been English!  :lol:
At the Charles De Gaulle Airport Paris they couldn't speak English too which was not very helpful, because that chaos you can have there, forces you to ask a lot of questions. It is very "interesting" in Paris! :wink:

By the way,neverthless, the city of Paris is a wonderful place!
I had spent 8 Days there with my "Kunst Leistungskurs" from my Gymnasium (looooong time ago :lol: )
We produced as a project for one whole semester a calendar with drawn pictures of special, famous places of our region, (landscapes, architectures), printed that calendar 600 times with the help of a newspaper printer's, sold them very successful and could use the money for our train tickets to Paris!

That was such a great experience for us 17 students and our teacher!
I'll never forget that trip AND that semester!

L.G. Monika

americanhero

• Gast
« Antwort #115 am: 19.02.2006, 22:47 Uhr »
a very interesting experience with a French stewardess in our plane who tried to speak English!  :cry:  :oops:

At least they tried to speak English. In 2002, when I was flying with Air France to Boston, they weren´t able to speak English and also the I94 form and other forms were in French. And no one could translate it into English. Around me were a lot of Americans, who didn´t know what to fill in. The first thing I did at the Immigration while waiting for my turn,  I took an English form and filled it out. That really sucked!!

Zitat
At the Charles De Gaulle Airport Paris they couldn't speak English too which was not very helpful, because that chaos you can have there, forces you to ask a lot of questions.

That´s what I also experienced, when I had the "luck" of flying via Paris in 2002. But it was the one and only flight I had via Paris, since then I was marked forever.  :evil:  And it was so chaotic and confusing, no signs, nearly no time. And if you weren´t fit enough to hurry to your connecting flight, you had bad luck and the plane was gone.
So my result: never ever again Paris and a French Airline.

Greetz,

Yvonne

Redwingfan

• Gold Member
« Antwort #116 am: 22.02.2006, 13:37 Uhr »
So finaly i do have some time to write in english as well.

Unfortunately I do not have anything to say what airline I fly. Unless I am on vacation of course. But I did like Air France because the food was good. The service was better than Lufthansa (sorry I have to say that).

Paris is unorganized – true .But Frankfurt isn’t any better.
Air France has right now probably with Singapore airlines together the best food of all the airlines I have flown so far.

With the luggage:

We believe there is a black hole in Paris and Amsterdam. Because they loose the stuff almost every time. Last week I got my bags. So not to bad I guess.

On my trip to Sturgis I fly Stuttgart – Paris- Chicago with Air France. I booked them because I really liked them the last times. But I am not checking any luggage this time – so they cant loose it….
Not taking any chances :wink:

Redwingfan
"The best indicator of future behavior is prior behavior...."

Crimson Tide

• Diamond Member
« Antwort #117 am: 22.02.2006, 16:07 Uhr »
Zitat von: Redwingfan

Paris is unorganized – true .But Frankfurt isn’t any better.
Air France has right now probably with Singapore airlines together the best food of all the airlines I have flown so far.

With the luggage:

We believe there is a black hole in Paris and Amsterdam. Because they loose the stuff almost every time. Last week I got my bags. So not to bad I guess.

. But I am not checking any luggage this time – so they cant loose it….
Not taking any chances :wink:

Redwingfan

Hi,Redwingfan!
 :lol:  :lol:  That is the smartest idea I've ever heard, that is really the best chance not to loose luggage in Paris!  :P

And you are right- the food is good, in Air France  as well as in Delta airplanes, and when we have to fly via Paris, we always put the most important stuff into our hand luggage!  :wink:
And some of the airports should celebrate a contest, like, which is the most chaotical international Airport! I'm not sure which of them would be the award winner, Frankfurt or Paris!  :wink:

L.G. Monika

Redwingfan

• Gold Member
« Antwort #118 am: 22.02.2006, 16:22 Uhr »
I think Frankfurt is a little bit worse than Paris. But not by much.

Well I can’t take any chances of loosing my bag in August. I will arrive Thursday in the late afternoon. Friday morning at 10a I will be at the rental place and plan on be on the road at 11a. It is at least 1000 Miles to Sturgis.
And I will meet a friend from Cincinnati, OH somewhere on the Interstate 80. And we plan to arrive no later than Saturday late in the afternoon in Sturgis. Otherwise it will be too much chaos.

Think about 350000 to 500000 Bikes arriving in a small country town where normally only 6000 people live…

Redwingfan
"The best indicator of future behavior is prior behavior...."

Crimson Tide

• Diamond Member
« Antwort #119 am: 22.02.2006, 16:43 Uhr »
Zitat von: Redwingfan
I think Frankfurt is a little bit worse than Paris. But not by much.

Well I can’t take any chances of loosing my bag in August. I will arrive Thursday in the late afternoon. Friday morning at 10a I will be at the rental place and plan on be on the road at 11a. It is at least 1000 Miles to Sturgis.
And I will meet a friend from Cincinnati, OH somewhere on the Interstate 80. And we plan to arrive no later than Saturday late in the afternoon in Sturgis. Otherwise it will be too much chaos.

Think about 350000 to 500000 Bikes arriving in a small country town where normally only 6000 people live…

Redwingfan

Wow!
I just looked in some of the websites because of that event!
That must be wonderful! Is it the first time you go to that meeting, do you drive yourself a Harley, or will you just watch them as a tourist?

L.G. Monika